Julia Cherlow litigates bet-the-company civil disputes across industries, with a specialization on effectively representing top entertainment talent in their most significant disputes, including breach of contract and profit participation claims. Her clients value her creativity, strategic thinking, and grace under pressure.
Ms. Cherlow joined the firm in 2018 after practicing for several years at Glaser Weil LLP, where she achieved favorable outcomes in a variety of litigation matters in state and federal court, for clients ranging from television producers to multinational clothing manufacturers to entrepreneurs to world famous architects.
Ms. Cherlow earned her J.D. from Stanford Law School in 2012, where she served as a Managing Editor for the Stanford Journal for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties and litigated several complex employment and housing disputes with the Stanford Community Law Clinic. During law school, Ms. Cherlow clerked for the Honorable Alphonse Orie of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in The Hague. Before law school, Ms. Cherlow was an associate with the Boston Consulting Group where she designed and implemented business solutions for Fortune 100 companies.
Prior to earning her bachelor’s degree from Stanford University, with honors and distinction, Ms. Cherlow was a professional ballerina.
Education & Admissions
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 2012
- Stanford University, B.A., with honors and distinction, 2007
- California, 2013
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Member, LEAD (Leadership Empowerment and Development) Program, American Friends of the Hebrew University
- Board Member, Western Center for Law & Poverty
- Editorial Board, American Bar Association, Section of Commercial & Business Litigation
- Former Board Member, Century City Bar Association
- Former Board Member, American Constitution Society, Los Angeles Lawyer Chapter, 2012-2018
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Barak Ballet, 2016-2019
Trial counsel for Plaintiffs in Hanzer Holdings et al. v. CBS Studios, a breach of contract suit against CBS Studios for failing to pay Plaintiffs a package commission in the 2016 MacGyver spinoff.
Trial counsel for the creator of an extraordinarily successful television series in a profit participation arbitration against one of the largest television studios in Hollywood.
Successfully represented intellectual property rights holder in resolution of a $60M motion picture financing dispute.
Successfully represented creator and producer of highly successful television series in resolution of multimillion-dollar disputes against distributors.
Successfully represented writer and co-creator of television series in resolution of dispute over underlying rights to source material for the series.
General Complex Commercial Litigation
Won complete defense verdict for FIGS in false advertising case after four years of high-profile and hard-fought litigation, a three-week federal jury trial, and less than one day of deliberations. FIGS, a publicly traded DTC company that has revolutionized the medical apparel industry, had been sued by industry leader Strategic Partners, Inc. based on alleged claims for false advertising, violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law, and other related torts and claimed damages exceeding $200 million.
Successfully represented mobile virtual network provider in obtaining a dismissal without leave to amend of federal and state False Claims Act (FCA) allegations threatening close to a half-billion dollars in damages.
Successfully represented consortium of investors in resolution of a novel block-chain currency dispute.
Successfully overturned adverse arbitration award against client who had been represented by prior counsel. Result for client improved after opponent appealed. Rice v. Downs, 247 Cal. App. 4th 1213 (2016) (review denied).
Awards & Recognition
- Legal Impact Report, Variety, 2023
- Top Defense Verdict of 2022, Daily Journal, 2023
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation; Entertainment and Sports Law, 2021-2022
- Southern California Rising Stars, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2017-present
- Next Generation Leader, American Constitution Society, 2012-present
- Co-Author, “Profit Participation Claims,” Entertainment Law & Litigation, Chapter 7, LexisNexis, 2023-2024
- Co-Author, “The Application Of Sales Comparison Affiliate Transaction Provisions To New, In-House Streaming Transactions Involving Historical Television Programs, And Their Impact On Profit Participants,” UCLA Entertainment Law Review, June 2021
- Author, “May It Please the Court: Best Practices for a Young Attorney Taking the Podium,” American Bar Association, December 2020
- Co-Author, “HP’s Long, Winding Road to Face a Nationwide Class,” Daily Journal, August 2015
- Author, “Free Speech in Gotham: First Amendment Protects Warner Bros. Against Trademark Claims Based on Fictional Software in Dark Knight Rises,” MLRC MediaLawLetter, June 2013
- Author, “Developing Corporate Human Rights Policies: The Role of Legal Counsel,” United Nations Global Compact Human Rights Working Group, December 2012
- Author, “Litigation Globalization: Trends in Global Securities Litigation One Year After Morrison,” The California International Law Journal, Vol. 19, No. 3 & 4, Winter 2012
News & Insights
Berlinski, Nessim, and Cherlow Recognized by Variety’s 2023 Legal Impact Report
Variety named principals John Berlinski, Ron Nessim, and Julia Cherlow to its highly regarded 2023 Legal Impact Report. The annual report recognizes the top lawyers in Hollywood entrusted …
Wednesday, April 19, 2023Go to the post
Julia Cherlow Selected as Fellow for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
Bird Marella is proud to announce that principal Julia Cherlow has been selected to participate in the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity’s (LCLD) 2023 Fellows Program. The Fellows Program is …
Friday, February 24, 2023Go to the post
Daily Journal Awards Bird Marella with Top Defense Verdict of 2022
Bird Marella has been awarded the Top Defense Verdict of 2022 by the Daily Journal for the firm’s victory in Strategic Partners, Inc. v. FIGS, Inc., recognizing the largest …
Friday, February 17, 2023Go to the post
Ron Nessim and Julia Cherlow Author Profit Participation Chapter in LexisNexis Entertainment Law & Litigation Textbook
Principals Ron Nessim and Julia Cherlow authored the “Profit Participation Claims” chapter in the recently published 2023-2024 edition of Entertainment Law & Litigation for LexisNexis. As “top lawyers …
Thursday, January 12, 2023Go to the post
Bird Marella Wins Complete Defense Verdict for FIGS
After four years of litigation, a three-week jury trial, and less than one full day of jury deliberations, the Bird Marella trial team, led by lead trial counsel …
Friday, November 4, 2022Go to the post
Six Bird Marella Attorneys Recognized as Top Business Litigation Attorneys in Super Lawyers Rising Star List of 2022
Six Bird Marella attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2022 Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. This year includes the addition of four new attorneys, reflecting the …
Wednesday, June 8, 2022Go to the post