Bird Marella is proud to recognize the attorneys who have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Southern California Super Lawyers list: Terry W. Bird - Criminal Defense: White Collar, Business Litigation, Civil Litigation Sharon Ben-Shahar Mayer - Business Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar Joel E. Boxer ...
Ten Bird Marella Attorneys Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
Paul also represents companies and individuals in regulatory and parallel civil/criminal investigations. He has particular expertise litigating cases involving the False Claims Act, civil RICO statutes, unfair competition and theft of trade secrets. His clients include Fortune 500 corporations, major financial institutions, professional partnerships, and emerging technology companies.
Paul has extensive trial experience. In over 20 years of practice, he has successfully tried numerous jury trials, bench trials, and binding arbitrations before both commercial and securities arbitration tribunals. He has been recognized as one of the “Best Lawyers in America,” a “Southern California Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine, and (previously) one of the “Best Lawyers Under 40″ by the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association. He is also the former President of the Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association; a Member of the Board of Directors of Asian Americans Advancing Justice; a Member of the Editorial Board of California Litigation magazine; and an Advisor to the Executive Committee of the California State Bar Section on Litigation.
Defending multiple international corporate and individual defendants in massive civil RICO litigation involving alleged “bust out” of a large flat screen television supplier.
Trial counsel for JM Eagle, the world’s largest manufacturer of plastic pipe products, in an ongoing federal False Claims Act litigation pursued by over 45 intervening states and municipalities, a parallel class action, and related civil litigations.
Trial counsel for the writers and creators of the television program “Will & Grace,” in an entertainment accounting jury trial against NBC Studios. Plaintiffs alleged NBC Studios failed to license “Will & Grace” for fair market value, failed to pay proper profit participations, and engaged in fraud and self-dealing by licensing the program to its corporate parent, the NBC network. After a three month jury trial, the jury returned a $49.5 million verdict in favor of the clients.
Litigation counsel for Mattel, Inc. Successfully prosecuted numerous trade secret theft, trademark, and copyright infringement actions involving the Mattel, Barbie and other iconic brands against competitors in the toy, stationary, cosmetics and apparel, and technology industries.
Litigation counsel for Ranch 99 Supermarkets, the largest chain of Asian-foods grocery stores in the United States. Represent the company in a variety of litigation matters including employment defense and intellectual property disputes.
Trial counsel for Charles Schwab & Co. in numerous trade secret misappropriation actions involving theft of customer information and client solicitation by a competitor. Pursue temporary and permanent injunctive relief actions against the company’s competitors.
Successfully represented a senior scientist at Bayer Healthcare in parallel civil and criminal actions involving alleged violations of the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the Economic Espionage Act. Obtained a no charge decision in the criminal investigation and civil action settled on favorable terms thereafter.
Litigation counsel for KB Home and related entities in a putative state-wide class action relating to alleged mortgage and appraisal fraud in connection with the sale of residences, and a federal derivative litigation relating to Countrywide Financial. Case settled on favorable terms following successful opposition to class certification motion.
Counsel to the Special Litigation Committee of Broadcom Corporation, the former CEO of Brocade Communications Systems, and the former CFO of Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation in connection with distinct options backdating investigations conducted by the United States Attorney’s Office and the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and parallel civil class actions and derivative litigations.
Trial counsel for Mooney Farms, the nation’s largest producer of sun-dried tomato products, in a jury trial concerning the fraudulent sale of thousands of gallons of adulterated olive oil, following a recall conducted by the Canadian Food & Drug Administration. Obtained a substantial settlement for the client midway through trial.
Trial counsel in a four-week jury trial involving an alleged breach of a $9 million profit participation and employment agreement by Lewis Homes. Obtained a complete defense verdict for the client on the profit participation claim.
Lead counsel for Honeywell Inc. in a breach of contract, negligence, and fraud action stemming from alleged delays in the construction of a Beverly Hills surgical center. Successfully obtained summary judgment on all claims and order affirming the summary judgment on appeal.
Lead trial counsel for E*TRADE Securities, Inc. in over a dozen separate binding arbitrations before the NASD and FINRA, in which claimants sought aggregate damages in excess of $4 million stemming from alleged improprieties in the handling of customer trades and brokerage accounts. The client prevailed in all but one case, and paid damages of less than $10,000 in that case.
- Former President, Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association (SCCLA)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Asian Pacific American Legal Center (APALC)
- Advisor to the Executive Committee, Litigation Section of the California State Bar
- Member of the Editorial Board, California Litigation magazine
- Member, California Minority Counsel Program
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Bird Marella attorneys Paul Chan and Marc Masters successfully defended a global nonprofit provider of AIDS/HIV healthcare, prevention services, and testing, in a high-profile False Claims Act lawsuit seeking eight-figure damages. The non-profit was sued by three former employee “whistleblowers” in federal court in Miami, Florida. The three plaintiffs/relators ...
12 Bird Marella principals have been recognized and selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2017 edition of the Best Lawyers in America. Best Lawyers is based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 50,000 leading attorneys cast nearly 5 million votes on the legal abilities of ...
Representing California Credits Group (CCG), a leading provider of tax credits consulting services, Bird Marella attorneys Paul Chan and Shoshana Bannett successfully obtained a complete dismissal of an employment complaint on statute of limitations grounds. The case was filed by an ex-employee who alleged, among other claims, intentional ...
Bird Marella is proud to recognize the attorneys that have been selected for inclusion in the 2016 Southern California Super Lawyers list. Terry W. Bird – Criminal Defense: White Collar Joel E. Boxer – Business Litigation Paul S. Chan – Business Litigation Mark T. Drooks – Business Litigation Thomas R. ...
Managing Principal Paul Chan participated in the panel discussion, “Rising Waters: Practical Tips on Making it Rain,” at the 2015 National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) Convention on Friday, November 5. The panel discussed strategies, utilizing resources, and common obstacles when developing business. For more information, click here.
Other News & Events
- Speaker, Rising Waters: Practical Tips on Making it Rain, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Annual Conference, November 2015
- Speaker, Help! I Need to Develop Business Now, California Minority Corporate Annual Business Conference, October 2015
- Speaker, Ethics – Trouble Spots in FCA Litigation, CLE International 2nd Annual Qui Tam Conference, October 2014
- Speaker, Whistleblowers and the False Claims Act: What You Need to Know, Practicing Law Institute (PLI), 2012
- Speaker, Taking Aim at the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Regional Conference, 2012.
- Speaker, The Tricks and Traps of Trade Secret Litigation, California State Bar Litigation Section Webinar, June 2011
- Speaker, Cyber Crimes in the New Economy, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Regional Conference, 2009
- Speaker, Use of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act in Employment Cases, Annual Conference of the Labor and Employment Section of the California State Bar, 2006
- Author, “Litigating Parallel Civil and Criminal Cases,” California Litigation, Vol. 24, No. 3, 2011.
- Author, “The Hazards of Litigating in the Press,” California Lawyer Magazine (December 2002)
- Co-Author, “Summary of Online Brokerage Awards in Internet Trading, 1996-2001,” presented at the Fifth Annual National Institute on Securities Trading on the Internet, New York, New York (September 2001)