Nicole Rodriguez Van Dyk concentrates her practice on the defense of white collar criminal prosecutions, government and regulatory investigations, and complex civil litigation.
Nicole leverages her strong litigation experience to advise clients on navigating the unique challenges of parallel criminal, civil, and regulatory proceedings.
A significant portion of Nicole’s practice is devoted to the representation of health care providers in state and federal criminal investigations and prosecutions, and parallel civil proceedings. She has successfully defended clients in a variety of related areas, including workers’ compensation fraud, false billing, improper referrals, compound medications, and physician-owned distributorships.
Nicole also has extensive experience defending clients in criminal matters related to government contracting fraud, mortgage fraud, and labor violations, as well as civil qui tam actions and business disputes.
Prior to joining Bird Marella in 2012, Nicole served as law clerk to the Honorable Josephine Staton of the United States District Court for the Central District of California and practiced for three years as a litigation associate at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP.
Education & Admissions
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2008
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 2005
- California, 2008
- Member, Board of Directors, Los Angeles Chapter, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Women’s White Collar Defense Association
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Former Member, Advisory Board for the Western Center on Law & Poverty
Represents a major league sports team in relation to multiple high-profile investigations.
Represents a British aerospace company in internal investigation and counseling matters relating to false claims allegations.
Achieved dismissal of federal criminal complaint charging executive with participating in government contracting fraud scheme.
Achieved complete dismissal of civil complaint alleging company executive engaged in fraud, misrepresentations, and civil conspiracy in connection with government contracts, and dismissal of all fraud and misrepresentation counts against the company.
Achieved dismissal of 26 felony counts on behalf of employee of construction firm charged with wage theft and fraud.
Won dismissal of 24 charges in a high profile grand jury indictment described by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office as the largest health care fraud in California history. Twenty-one of the now-dismissed counts carried a potential life sentence.
Obtained dismissal of 89 out of 90 counts, including counts of insurance fraud and involuntary manslaughter, on behalf of a client accused of allegedly masterminding a $100 million medical workers’ compensation fraud scheme. After obtaining an order from the California Supreme Court requiring the review of the Orange County District Attorney’s grand jury practices, the Court of Appeal granted a writ petition, resulting in the Court dismissing all but one count.
Represented a physician accused of accepting kickbacks and falsifying billing records in a federal health care fraud investigation. The client was granted immunity as a result of Nicole’s efforts.
Achieved dismissal of claims brought against the Chairman and CEO of a health care company in a civil case involving alleged improper billing, unfair competition, and fraud.
Obtained complete dismissal of a federal action seeking contribution from an international law firm under Section 18(b) of the Securities Act of 1934.
Awards & Recognition
- Up and Coming, Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations, Chambers USA, 2021-present
- Top 40 Under 40, Daily Journal, 2022
- Top Women Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2022
- California Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2022
- Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2022
- Top 250 Women in Litigation, Benchmark Litigation, 2021
- Next Generation Lawyer of the Year, Century City Bar Association, 2021
- Minority Leaders of Influence: Attorneys, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2021
- Top Women Attorneys, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2020
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2020-present
- Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, Best Lawyers®, 2019-present
- Health Care Law Trailblazers, National Law Journal, 2019
- Under 40 Hot List, Benchmark Litigation, 2018-present
- Southern California Rising Stars (Up-and-Coming 100), Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016-2018
- Women Southern California Rising Stars (Up-and-Coming 50), Super Lawyers Magazine, 2018
- Most Influential Women Lawyers, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2017-2018
- Women’s Summit Nominee, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2016
- Contributor, “California: An Introduction to Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations,” Chambers and Partners USA, May 2021
- Co-Author, “Strategic Compliance: The Benefit of a Results-Oriented Approach to Corporate Compliance Programmes,” Fraud & White Collar Crime 2020 Expert Guide, Corporate LiveWire, October 2020
News & Insights
Benjamin Gluck and Ariel Neuman Named Lawyers of the Year as 20 Bird Marella Attorneys Recognized Among the 2023 Best Lawyers in America®
Bird Marella is proud to announce the inclusion of 20 lawyers in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch by U.S. News. Benjamin …
Friday, August 19, 2022Go to the post
Nicole Rodriguez Van Dyk Honored with Daily Journal’s Top 40 Under 40 Award
Principal Nicole Rodriguez Van Dyk has been named to the Daily Journal’s 2022 list of the Top 40 Under 40. The annual list honors exceptional lawyers throughout California …
Thursday, August 11, 2022Go to the post
Bird Marella Wins Dismissal of Fraud Indictment Against Advertising Executive at Start of Trial
In a trial involving a digital advertising company’s use of Internet Protocol netblocks, Bird Marella won complete vindication of its client’s innocence. Following his opening statement at trial, …
Tuesday, June 14, 2022Go to the post
Nicole Rodriguez Van Dyk Named to Law360’s Rising Star List for White Collar
Bird Marella Principal Nicole Rodriguez Van Dyk has been named a Law360 White Collar Rising Star for 2022. The elite Rising Stars list features the “top legal talent under 40” whose career accomplishments transcend …
Friday, June 3, 2022Go to the post
Chambers USA Praises Bird Marella as “Elite Boutique Firm” with “Top-Shelf” and “Best-in-Class Lawyers” in 2022 Rankings
In its 2022 rankings, Chambers and Partners recognizes Bird Marella as “an extraordinary firm with best-in-class lawyers” who “are top-shelf and really punch above their weight.” The legal guide commended the firm for …
Thursday, June 2, 2022Go to the post
Daily Journal Names Nicole Rodriguez Van Dyk to Annual Top Women Lawyers List
Principal Nicole Rodriguez Van Dyk has been named to the Daily Journal‘s 2022 list of Top Women Lawyers. The special issue features the most prominent women in the legal industry, distinguished …
Wednesday, May 25, 2022Go to the post