Dorothy Wolpert is a founding member of the firm.
Her practice includes trial experience in copyright infringement, legal malpractice (as both plaintiff and defendant), probate matters, post-acquisition disputes, entertainment cases, and several precedential cases related to the construction of the Los Angeles subway.
She has argued in the Supreme Court of the State of California and before all the U.S. district courts in the state, as well as the Ninth Circuit.
Dorothy has served as a judge pro tem, mediator and arbitrator in the Los Angeles Superior Court, and has arbitrated fee disputes for the LACBA.
Education & Admissions
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., Member of Moot Court, 1976
- College of the City of New York and University of Pennsylvania, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1959
- California, 1976
- Inner City Law Center, Past President and Member, Board of Directors, 1996-present
- UCLA Law School Alumni Board
- Fountain Theatre, Board of Directors
- Court appointed Counsel in Juvenile Court
- Founding Member, Los Angeles Library Association
Obtained preliminary injunction in a pro bono class action lawsuit against federal prison over the inefficient measures taken by prison officials to prevent the spread of COVID-19, in violation of the Eighth Amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. Successfully convinced the court to require prison officials to consider all medically vulnerable, non-violent prisoners and those over the age of 50 for home confinement.
Obtained favorable settlement in a pro bono matter on behalf of 50 tenants displaced from a South Los Angeles apartment building plagued by housing code violations in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Represented a national law firm in a malpractice claim. Successfully defended the claim and obtained a jury verdict of over $1 million in fees.
Represented numerous major studios in piracy cases and secured damages and injunctions.
Represented public company in post-acquisition dispute and obtained $20 million plus settlement.
Defended major film maker against copyright infringement claim.
Represented prominent family in lengthy probate proceedings including six successful appeals.
Awards & Recognition
- California Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2021-present
- Humanitarian Award, American Civil Liberties Union, 2021
- Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2019-present
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation; Environmental Law, Best Lawyers®, 2016-present
- Constitutional Rights Foundation Mock Trial Attorney of the Year – Private Sector, 2015
- Inner City Law Center’s Katherine Krause Award for Public Service, 2004
- Top 50 Women Lawyers, 2003
- Top Women Lawyers in Business, 2003
- Southern California Super Lawyers, 2002-2011
- DeCamp v. First Kensington Corp., 83 Cal. App. 3d 268 (1978)
- Seiler v. Lucasfilm, 808 F.2d 1316 (9th Cir. 1986)
- Southern California Rapid Transit Dist. v. Bolen, 1 Cal. 4th 654 (1992)
- Contributing Author, ”California Trial Objections,” Second Edition, C.E.B., 1984
- “Guarding the Home Front“, Daily Journal Supplement, 2006
News & Insights
Bird Marella Founding Principal Dorothy Wolpert Receives UCLA Law’s 2022 Trailblazers Lifetime Achievement Award
Founding principal Dorothy Wolpert was honored by the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) with the 2022 Trailblazers Lifetime Achievement Award at its annual UCLA Law Women LEAD …
Wednesday, October 19, 2022Go to the post
Bird Marella Obtains Class Action Relief for Lompoc Federal Inmates Over COVID-19 Measures
In partnership with the Prison Law Office and the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California (ACLU SoCal), Bird Marella obtained approval of a class action settlement in …
Tuesday, October 18, 2022Go to the post
Benjamin Gluck and Ariel Neuman Named Lawyers of the Year as 20 Bird Marella Attorneys Recognized Among the 2023 Best Lawyers in America®
Bird Marella is proud to announce the inclusion of 20 lawyers in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch by U.S. News. Benjamin …
Friday, August 19, 2022Go to the post
Women’s History Month: Spotlight on Founding Principal Dorothy Wolpert
In celebrating Women’s History Month and following Bird Marella’s 40th Anniversary milestone, the firm is pleased to honor one of its founding principals, Dorothy Wolpert, and her inspiring legacy. Dorothy Wolpert began …
Thursday, March 3, 2022Go to the post
Benchmark Litigation 2022 Names Bird Marella a Tier 1 Law Firm Across Multiple Practice Areas
Bird Marella was recognized as a “Highly Recommended” law firm in California, for the fourth time in a row, by Benchmark Litigation. The publication is the definitive guide to America’s …
Tuesday, October 12, 2021Go to the post
Bird Marella Showcases Top-Tier Legal Talent with 19 Attorneys Named Among the 2022 Best Lawyers in America®
Bird Marella is proud to announce its inclusion in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch by U.S. Articles. Nearly half of the firm’s entire roster of …
Thursday, August 19, 2021Go to the post