Terry W. Bird
- University of California, Los Angeles, J.D. (1970)
- Stanford University, B.A. (1967)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- California 1970
- Law Clerk, Justice Lynn D. “Buck” Compton and Justice Robert Thompson, California Court of Appeals, Second District (1970-1972)
- Assistant United States Attorney, Fraud and Special Prosecutions Unit (1972-1977)
- Special Counsel, Alaska Public Utilities Commission (1977-1985)
As a civil litigator, Terry has represented some of the largest corporations in the country, as well as their top executives. He has litigated for and against the largest Fortune 500 corporations. His civil practice centers on the defense of all forms of commercial litigation and class actions including contract, fraud, RICO, employment, unfair competition and breach of warranty matters.
As a white collar defense attorney, Terry has concentrated in securities, mail fraud, tax, customs, government fraud and antitrust cases. He has represented defendants in some of the most prominent prosecutions and/or inquiries in the country. His clients have included executives at internet, telecommunications and power and energy companies, as well as key participants in IPO securities investigations. Terry has headed several corporate internal investigations to aid prominent companies and/or their boards of directors in the exercise of their fiduciary duties to their shareholders. As part of that work he has served as counsel to special litigation committees of prominent technology companies.
Throughout his career, Terry has maintained a close relationship with the courts and judiciary. He served as one of 10 lawyers on the Ninth Circuit Advisory Board (2002 – 2005) and then served as Chair of the Advisory Board (2005 – 2006). He also served on President George W. Bush’s Judicial Advisory Committee and as such was one of six lawyers responsible for selecting candidates for the Central District of California’s federal bench and its United States Attorney (2001-2008). He has twice served as Chairman of the Central District of California Lawyer Representatives to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference (1990; 2000) and once as Chairman of the Lawyer Representatives Coordinating Committee for the entire Circuit (1991 – 1992).
- Represented the Special Litigation Committee of Broadcom Corporation’s Board of Directors for investigation and litigation of derivative claims related to allegations of back-dated stock options.
- Represented Western Digital Corporation in successful trial defense of securities and contract claims.
- Represented CFOs of Qwest International, Homestore, Inc. and New Century Financial Corp. in civil litigation, SEC, and U.S. Attorney’s Office investigations.
- Represented the City of Hermosa Beach in a breach of lease and contract litigation involving claims for more than $700 million in damages.
- Represented Canon USA and Nokia, Inc. in separate unrelated class actions, each of which involved claims of defective products.
- Represented Purex Corporation at trial in coverage litigation involving environmental claims.
- Represented the Alaska Public Utilities Commission in cost overrun hearings related to construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS)
- Author, “Budget Cuts, ADR Could Undermine State’s Judicial System,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, October 13, 2004.
- Author: “Shooting Holes in the Shell Game with Expert Testimony,” Association of Business Trial Lawyers Report, Vol. 16, No. 2, February 1994.
- Guest Lecturer, University of Southern California School of Law, “Corporate Fraud” (2005-2012)
- Panelist, CLE International Conference, “Internal Investigations” (2005-2007)
- Panelist, CLE International Conference, “Stock Option Backdating” (January 2008)
- Panelist, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, “Lessons From The Trenches: What Business Trial Lawyers Can Learn From Criminal Defense and Personal Injury Trial Practice” (December 2003)
- Bird Marella Principals Named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 List
- Bird and Kamin presenting on FCPA
- Terry W. Bird Honored by Chambers USA
IN THE NEWS
Read all News for Terry W. Bird
- Elected, American College of Trial Lawyers, 1995 – present
- Named a “Southern California Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine, 2005 – 2013
- Honored by Chambers USA as a nationwide “Senior Statesman” trial lawyer, 2011
- Listed, Best Lawyers In America, 1995 – 2013
- Listed, The 25 Best White Collar Crime Attorneys in California, The Client’s Guide to America’s Leadings Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA, 2004 – present
- Listed, The Top 100 Southern California Lawyers by Los Angeles Magazine
- Listed, L.A.’s Top 100 Lawyers, Los Angeles Business Journal, October 2009
- Member, Board of Directors of People Assisting the Homeless (P.A.T.H.)