Mitchell A. Kamin
- Harvard Law School, J.D. cum laude, 1993
- U.C. Berkeley, B.A. with highest honors, 1989, phi beta kappa
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- California 1999
- New York 1994
- President/CEO, Bet Tzedek Legal Services, 2003-2010
- Partner, O’Neill, Lysaght & Sun, 1999-2003
- Staff Attorney, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 1993-1994
Co-managing partner and trial attorney Mitch Kamin represents clients in complex commercial and white-collar criminal cases in both state and federal courts.
In the commercial arena, he has litigated and counseled companies and individuals across a range of industries regarding regulatory and policy matters, contract disputes, copyright, class actions, labor and employment, and professional liability, with particular expertise working with entertainment and gaming enterprises and talent. From a criminal defense perspective, he has national white-collar experience leading litigation and internal investigations involving issues such as FCPA, securities, taxes, money laundering, bank fraud and wire fraud. Mr. Kamin recently represented top senior executives of three separate Fortune 500 companies in FCPA investigations by the SEC and Department of Justice. The media and various professional and industry organizations regularly call on him to comment or present on FCPA issues.
Mr. Kamin’s expertise and experience in the conventional gaming industry has put him at the leading edge of law relating to the rapidly emerging world of online social gaming. He has represented gaming industry clients being prosecuted and investigated for potential violations of federal law, including the federal wire act. Mr. Kamin now advises gaming companies and online social gaming entrepreneurs on regulatory issues and risk avoidance, and provides representation in business and regulatory matters.
Mr. Kamin’s recent institutional clients include 20th Century Fox, International Game Technology (IGT), Double Feature Films, Azusa Pacific University and more.
For nearly eight years prior to joining Bird Marella, Mr. Kamin served as President and CEO of Bet Tzedek Legal Services, one of the largest and most successful non-profit law firms in the United States. There he led a 70-person full-time staff and was responsible for major policy initiatives and overseeing significant litigation in both trial and appellate courts. He also spearheaded the largest pro bono initiative in U.S. history, garnering multiple national awards, including the ABA Pro Bono Publico Award.
Actively involved in the community, he serves on the board of directors for the UCLA Younes and Soraya Nazarian Center for Israel Studies and the Breed Street Shul Project. He has served as an adjunct professor at Loyola Law School and Chairman of the Board of Commissioners for the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles, which provides public housing and rental assistance programs for thousands of low-income families.
- Successfully defended major motion picture studio in federal copyright infringement lawsuit.
- Represent and counsel S&P 500 company on national and international regulation of gaming and social gaming activities and products.
- Represent top executives of three separate Fortune 500 companies in FCPA investigations undertaken by the SEC and Department of Justice.
- Conducted an internal investigation and persuaded the Department of Justice to decline prosecution of an international gaming company for alleged violations of the federal wire act.
- Leading an investigation on behalf of a Southern California university regarding potential criminal and civil liability.
- Achieved a walk away settlement for a national law firm in a professional negligence case.
- Represented a movie production company and its principals in a dispute with their former business manager, and obtained a significant settlement on their behalf.
- Counseled European cable network on legal issues arising from deals with domestic movie studios, enabling it to protect rights and avoid litigation.
- Achieved unprecedented settlement in Federal civil rights lawsuit against City and County of Orange concerning nineteen-year wrongful imprisonment.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for the former president of a production company who had been improperly denied contingent severance benefits.
- Filed amicus briefs in significant California and U.S. Supreme Court cases, including Republic of Austria v. Altmann, 541 U.S. 677 (2004).
- Secured acquittals at trial for individuals charged with serious crimes in New York state courts.
- Successfully represented international recording artist in matter with city law enforcement agency.
- “Vegas Goes Viral: A New Frontier in Litigation,” California Litigation, Vol 25, 2012
- “Private Lawyers and the Public Interest: The Evolving Role of Pro Bono in the Legal Profession,” Journal of Legal Education, Vol. 62, No. 1, August 2012
- “Will California take the lead in online gaming? (Parts 1 &2),” Daily Journal, November 2 & 3, 2011
Bird Marella Principal Mitchell A. Kamin is speaking at the Practicing Law Institute (PLI) seminar Representing the Games Industry Client 2013. The topic – “Social Mobile Gaming 2013″ (October 23, 2013, San Francisco)
Mitch Kamin is speaking on a panel at the Ethics Plenary Session of the American Bar Association Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries. The topic – ”Hand in Someone’s Pocket (Head in the Sand): Representing Sports and Entertainment Clients in a World of Corrupt Practices” (New York, NY, October 4, 2013)
Mitch Kamin is participating in a mock trial on Social Gaming at the 15th International Conference on Gambling and Risk Taking (May 29, 2013)
Mitch Kamin spoke to the Twentieth Century Fox Legal Department on the topic “The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Recent Developments and the Entertainment Industry.” (April 25, 2013)
Terry W. Bird and Mitchell A. Kamin are giving an MCLE presentation to the Southern California Edison legal department on the topic “The FCPA: Recent Developments and the DOJ/SEC Resource Guide”(March 5, 2013).
- “A Short History of the Federal Wire Act,” March 14, 2012, IGT Legal and Compliance Departments, Las Vegas, NV
- “Gaming Regulation in an Evolving Global Industry: Striking the Balance,” November 3, 2011, IGT Legal Department Retreat, Reno, NV
- “The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Recent Developments and Best Practices,” August 1, 2011, Southern California Edison Legal Department, Rosemead, CA
- Kamin to Speak at PLI on Social Gaming
- Mitch Kamin to Speak on FCPA Issues at ABA Forum on Entertainment and Sports
- Mitchell Kamin Discusses the Road to Becoming and Staying a Rainmaker with Law360
- Mitchell Kamin Discusses Legal Issues of Social Gaming with the Daily Journal
IN THE NEWS
Read all News for Mitchell Kamin
- Living the Legacy Award, JFSJ/PJA, 2011
- Opening Doors to Justice Award, Public Interest Clearinghouse, 2009
- Top 100 Lawyers in California, Daily Journal, 2005, 2006, 2008
- Named a Southern California Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine, 2007 – 2013
- Skadden Fellowship, 1994-1996
- Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles, Chairman, Board of Commissioners, 2011-2012
- Breed Street Shul Project, Board of Directors, 2011-Present
- Attorney General Kamala Harris, Transition Team, Civil Rights Enforcement, 2011
- Liberty Hill Foundation, Board of Directors, 2008-2011
- The GRAMMY Museum, Community Advisory Committee, 2008-2009
- Legal Aid Association of California, President of the Board, 2006-2008
- California State Advisory Task Force on Legal Representation Pilot Project, appointed by State Bar of California, 2007
- California State Task Force on Lawyer Support for Legal Services, appointed by State Assembly, 2006-2008
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Board of Trustees, 2004-2006
- White House Conference on Aging, appointed by U.S. Rep. Howard Berman, 2005