- UCLA School of Law, J.D. (2007); Editor-in-Chief, Women’s Law Journal; Articles Editor, Journal of Sexual Orientation Law
- Columbia University, B.A. (2003), Dean’s List, U.S. History Major
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- California 2007; Central District of California
- Law Clerk, Hon. Jon P. McCalla, Chief Judge of the Western District of Tennessee, Memphis, 2007 - 2008
- Extern, Hon. Denise L. Cote, Southern District of New York, 2005
Prior to joining Bird Marella, Jessie served as the Executive Director of Ms. JD, a national non-profit dedicated to the advancement of women in the legal profession. Jessie is a frequent speaker on issues pertaining to women in law and in 2011 she was appointed to the American Bar Association’s Presidential Commission on Women in the Profession.
- Represented a television production company in a suit against a major television network for violations of contract and intellectual property.
- Represented a leading developer of gambling technology across multiple jurisdictions concerning regulatory compliance issues.
- Represented a multi-national engineering and manufacturing firm in post-merger dispute before arbitration panel.
- Represented a California venture capital firm against allegations of contract interference.
- Represented an internet marketing specialist against allegations of breach of contract.
- Represented a workplace injury clinic in criminal probe into alleged Medicare violations.
- Facilitated termination of a criminal investigation by federal law enforcement against a corporate executive accused of fraud.
- Represented corporate executive convicted of criminal copyright infringement in federal sentencing proceedings, securing judicial recommendation for placement in a minimum security rehabilitation program.
- Successfully negotiated settlement on behalf of electronic financial transaction service provider in suit brought by celebrity plaintiff for violation of rights of publicity.
- Served as co-lead counsel for a multi-national test preparation service in a three-week jury trial claiming trade secret misappropriation, breach of fiduciary duty, and related claims, resulting in a favorable verdict on all causes of action, a multi-million dollar damages award, and a finding of punitive liability as to all defendants.
- Vegas Goes Viral: A New Frontier in Litigation, 25 California Litigation Journal 34, November2, 2012
- Will California take the lead in online gaming? (Parts 1 &2), Daily Journal, November 2 & 3, 2011.
- Rethinking Civil Contempt Incarceration, 44 CRIM. L. BULL. 4 2008.
- Jumping on the Mommy Track: A Tax for Working Mothers, 17 U.C.L.A. Women’s L. J. 187, 2008.
- Section 965: A Traditional Corporate Tax Policy Evaluation, 4 B.Y.U. INT’L L & MGMT. REV. 87, 2007.
- The Careerist Quotes Ms. JD’s Executive Director Jessie Kornberg on Dropping Enrollment Among Women in the Nation’s Top Law Schools.
- Lawyerist.com Columnist Staci Zaretsy Quotes Ms. JD’s Executive Director Jessie Kornberg on Female Students’ Classroom Participation.
- Lauren Stiller Rikleen Cites Ms. JD’s Women on Law Review Report and Quotes Ms. JD’s Executive Director Jessie Kornberg in new book, Success Strategies for Women Lawyers.
- National Law Journal Quotes Ms. JD’s Executive Director Jessie Kornberg on Declining Number of Women in Large Firms.
- Law.com Quotes Ms. JD’s Executive Director Jessie Kornberg on Declining Number of Women in Large Firms.
- Perspectives Magazine “Voices” Column Features Ms. JD Executive Director Jessie Kornberg, “Turning a ‘Mad as Hell’ Moment into Action,” Perspectives: A Magazine for and about Women Lawyers, Vol. 19, No. 2.
- Ms. JD Executive Director Jessie Kornberg Quoted in Legal Intelligencer Article on Dewey’s New Diversity Pitch to Potential Clients.
- Perspectives Magazine interviews Ms. JD Executive Director Jessie Kornberg, “Are Young Women Turning Their Backs on Law School?” Perspectives: A Magazine for and about Women Lawyers, Vol. 18, No. 4.
- Executive Director, Jessie Kornberg quoted in Law360 coverage of Law Firm Diversity Reporting Controversy.
- “Institutional Leadership: Making a Play for the Top,” ABA Women in Law Leadership Academy, December 2012
- “A Provocative Discussion with Profession Jeffrey Pfeffer,” University of Texas, Center for Women in Law, Power Summit, April 2011
- “Stand Up! Stand Out!,” Ms. JD’s 4th Annual Conference on Women & Law, March 2011
- Women and Power: Getting Ambitious About Ambition, ABA Commission on Women in the Profession, February 2011
- “Microsoft Women & Minority Law Student IP Summit,” University of Texas School of Law, Austin, TX, November 2010
- “Clerkship Interviewing Tips,” UCLA School of Law, Los Angeles, CA, September 2010
- “Navigating Diversity in the Employment Recruiting Process,” UCLA School of Law, Los Angeles, CA, September 2010
- “Transforming Law, Transforming Lives,” National Conference of Women’s Bar Associations, San Francisco, CA, August 2010
- “Networking 101,” San Francisco Bar Association, No Glass Ceiling Initiative, San Francisco, CA, June 2010
- “Networking 101,” ABA Women in Law Leadership Academy, Philadelphia, PA, April 2010
- “10 Years Later and Nothing’s Changed. What Are We Doing About Diversity in the Legal
Profession?,” Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, New York, NY, April 2010
- “The Wage Gap in the Legal Profession,” Southwestern Law School, April 2010
- “Alternative Careers,” UCLA School of Law, Los Angeles, CA, March 2010
- “Avenues to Advancement,” Northwestern Law School, Chicago, IL, November 2009
- “The History of Women in California’s Legal Practice,” Irell & Manella, Los Angeles, CA, November 2009
- “The Importance of Intangibles in the Changing Job Market,” UCLA School of Law, Los Angeles, CA, September 2009
- Bird Marella – Client Wins Recognized with Multiple Awards
- Two Daily Journal Awards for Bird Marella
- Jessica Kornberg Discusses Slide in Number of Female Associates
- Kornberg Op-Ed Piece Printed in The National Law Journal – Diapers, Laundry and a Legal Practice
IN THE NEWS
Read all News for Jessica Kornberg
- Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2013
- Lawyers on the Fast Track award by The Recorder, 2013
- Appointment to ABA Commission on Women in the Profession, 2011
- Helena Rubenstein Foundation Fellowship Winner, 2006
- Commissioner, ABA Commission on Women in the Profession
- Co-Chair, 2012 ABA WILL Academy
- Member, California Women Lawyers
- Member, Women Lawyers of Los Angeles
- Marketing Co-Chair, 2012 NAWL Mid-Year Meeting
- Councilmember, Greater Griffith Park Neighborhood Council, 2010-2012